Benefits of Natural Gas
Natural gas is the clear value choice for energy efficiency, reliability and availability.
Using natural gas in your business for heating, water heating, cooking and drying are some of the best energy efficiency decisions you can make. Direct use of natural gas is more energy efficient than electricity. The reason goes back to the source of the energy and how it reaches your business.
- Only 30 percent of the energy used to generate electricity actually reaches your business and is used by electric equipment. So, 70 percent of that energy is lost along the way. Part of it is lost when burning source fuel to generate electricity. The rest is lost in the transmission and distribution of the electricity to your business.
In contrast, the natural gas used in your business is the same natural gas that enters the pipeline, so there is little energy loss. Just to show you how efficient the process is, 90 percent of natural gas’s energy reaches your business. Only a mere 10 percent of the energy is lost in the process.
- The “carbon footprint” for a business using natural gas is 50 percent smaller than a business using electric heating and water heating.
Choosing natural gas equipment is an easy way to reduce your carbon footprint without sacrificing comfort or style. A carbon footprint measures the impact human activities have on the environment in relation to the amount of greenhouse gases produced.
Natural gas is an abundant, domestically produced fuel you can count on today for your business's energy needs.
- Unlike other energy sources, 85 percent of all the natural gas consumed domestically is produced in the United States. Natural gas decreases our dependence on foreign energy sources.
- Natural gas supplies are abundant. Recent advances in technology have unlocked vast supplies of natural gas - enough to fuel our nation for generations.
- Natural gas creates jobs for Americans. Natural gas is produced, transported and sold in America by American companies. The natural gas industry supports more than 2.8 million jobs in the U.S.
Readily available today
Using natural gas is an environmentally friendly choice you can make today, Currently, renewable energy, such as wind and solar, meet only 6 percent of our nation’s energy needs. Natural gas, on the other hand, is a critical component of a global solution that can have an immediate, positive environmental impact. Plus, the infrastructure that gets it into our businesses is already established.