Natural Gas Advantages
Natural gas is the clear choice for energy efficiency, reliability and comfort.
Using natural gas in your home for heating, water heating, cooking and drying are some of the best energy efficiency decisions you can make. Direct use of natural gas is more energy efficient than electricity. The reason goes back to the source of the energy and how it reaches your home.
- Only 30 percent of the energy used to generate electricity actually reaches your home and is used by your electric appliances. So, 70 percent of that energy is lost along the way. Part of it is lost when burning source fuel to generate electricity. The rest is lost in the transmission and distribution of the electricity to your home.
In contrast, the natural gas used in your home or business is the same natural gas that enters the pipeline, so there is little energy loss. Ninety percent of natural gas’s energy reaches your home and business. Only a mere 10 percent of the energy is lost in the process.
- A natural gas home emits up to 50 percent fewer carbon emissions than an all-electric home.
Choosing natural gas appliances is an easy way to reduce your carbon footprint without sacrificing comfort or style. A carbon footprint measures the impact that human activities have on the environment in relation to the amount of greenhouse gases produced.
Natural gas is an abundant, domestically produced fuel you can count on for your family’s energy needs.
- Unlike other energy sources, 85 percent of all the natural gas consumed domestically is produced in the United States. Natural gas decreases our dependence on foreign energy sources.
- Natural gas supplies are abundant. Recent advances in technology have unlocked vast supplies of natural gas - enough to fuel our nation for generations.
- Natural gas creates jobs for Americans. Natural gas is produced, transported and sold in America by American companies. The natural gas industry supports more than 2.8 million jobs in the U.S.
Natural gas delivers comfort and performance and saves energy, while saving you money. Most of the homes we live in require electricity. But, for most appliances, such as water heaters, dryers and heating equipment, you do have an energy choice.
- Gas hot water heaters heat water twice as fast as electric water heaters and cost far less to operate.
- Natural gas furnaces are up to 97 percent efficient, last longer than electric heat pumps and deliver heat up to 25 degrees warmer. When it is really cold outside, natural gas provides instant heat you can feel, which immediately increases the warmth and comfort of your home. A new high-efficiency natural gas furnace and cooling system can save up to $1,300 a year in operating costs.
- Natural gas dryers dry clothes faster than electric dryers.